Owning a good quality mattress is a committed investment where you need to ensure that the life of the mattress can stretch up to at least 10 years.
For the mattress to have durability it is important that it is cleaned properly over the years and you monitor its wear and tear on a regular basis. There are a lot of things that can spoil a mattress.
- Pet hair
- Dirt settling into the mattress
- Spilled drinks
- Food granules
- Dead skin
- Other stains
- Fungus growth
Even if you are not suffering from any allergies you need to take cleaning your mattress at home seriously. It is important that the mattress being used at home is free of dust mites, odour and stains to have good sleep.
Deep cleaning your mattress is not as difficult as you thought. The process that we will be following is pretty standard and will not be specific to any particular stain removal or bacteria treatment as if you are following this process regularly then you will be happy to see a healthy and clean mattress.
Table of Contents
Proven Steps to Deep Clean the Mattress
This process is something that needs to be done to keep your mattress clean and fresh in a general sense of the way. The steps that need to be followed are quite systematic and simple and the results will definitely bring a smile to your face.
- After 24 hours you will have to vacuum the entire mattress again making sure you get every last bit of the baking soda from the mattress.
- Make sure that you dust the mattress properly and get the mattress back into a clean and sanitized room.
- There is no point in going through the entire process of deep cleaning your mattress if you are not going to clean the bed. Once you have cleaned up the entire bed properly you can always consider using polish for the wood.
- Place the clean mattress on the bed and throw over some clean and sanitized sheets.
Removing Tough stains from your mattress
One of the most painful things to see is a coffee or tea spill on your mattress.
There are stains as such that are tough to manage but there is always a way.
1. The first thing that you need to do is blot up all the excess liquids from the mattress immediately. You need to use a clean cloth to do so, if you have a clean sponge then that should be the best thing to use.
2. Now spray the Enzymatic cleaner on the clean cloth and not directly on the mattress as we do not want excessive fluids entering the mattress and reducing their life.
3. Gently apply the solution to the affected area of the mattress and ensure that you do not rub the area too hard. If you apply too much pressure then the leftover liquid of the stain will seep into the mattress deeper and we don’t want that.
4. After applying the solution, use a wet cloth to clean it up, make sure that the cloth is not too wet as the water will seep into the mattress and the entire process would be for nothing. Keep blotting the affected area with the damp cloth till you see the stains vanishing.
5. Allow the mattress to dry and then use a vacuum cleaner to clear up all the leftover dust and particles.
6. If you want the dampness and the odour to go then you will have to apply baking soda to the affected areas and dry the mattress under the sun for a good 23 hours to see the best results.
Removing Yellow Stains from the Mattress & Pillows
If you have yellow stains on your mattress then it is a result of body oils and sweat. Your best friend here is hydrogen peroxide and lukewarm water. You may even add a dish liquid if the results are not as good as you want them to be.
Once you have prepared the concoction, you can start by applying the liquid to the mattress. Ensure that you do not pour the liquid on the mattress directly, either use a spray bottle or a cloth to do so.
Scrub the mattress gently with a brush so that the stains are covered with the liquid. Let the mattress sit for about an hour so that the concoction can do its job.
After an hour, rub the yellow stained areas with a damp cloth and check to see if the stains have gone. If there are still signs of the stain then repeat the process. You need to make sure that the mattress is dry before you start using it.
Use Mattress Pads To Protect Mattresses:
One of the best ways to reduce damage to your mattress is by using a good quality Mattress Pad. The Mattress pad helps in providing an extra layer of protection to your mattress. Though mattress pads are a great way of keeping your mattress clean it does not mean that you need not clean the mattress pads now and again.
A good mattress pad and protector helps your mattress avoid drink spills, dust mites and other such problems. You can check out some amazing mattress pads at Covers And All.
Here are some of our recommendations for durable Mattresses:
- Casper Mattress Warranty
- Layla Sleep Mattress
- Puffy Mattress Coupons
- Intellibed Gel Mattress
- Plush Beds Mattress Warranty
- Avocado Green Mattress Reviews